Velvet skirt

20140130-080351.jpg 20140130-080343.jpg

Thank god for stretch velvet!  I made this skirt in about an hour.  I didn’t have a pattern for a stretch pencil skirt but I figured it couldn’t be that hard, and I used this tutorial. It was really fun and easy- you just take your measurements and then draw a rectangle with the length as the length you want the skirt and the width as your hip measurement,  then you curve in to your waist measurement at the top and then also curve in a couple inches at the bottom to make the skirt tapered. For the waistband I just used the waistband from my Virginia Leggings pattern and doubled the width because I like a nice wide waistband.

The fabric is a purple stretch  velvet I bought at Sewfisticated for $4.99 a yard and  I stitched the whole thing up on my serger.  I got the serger for Christmas and I’m completely thrilled with it.  I could sew knits for daaayyys.  The skirt proved kind of difficult to photograph because it’s such a dark color.  But that’s what instagram is for- right?  I filtered the crap out of the pictures so you could see the color of the velvet.

Once again I’d just like to say eat your heart out American Apparel.  They’re charging $45 for this.  I made mine for about $5.  I also added about 6 inches of length to it compared to the AA version because, well, I’m getting too old for that shit.

AA skirt 20140130-080324.jpg

The time is never wrong for floral leggings

I can’t get enough of the Virginia Leggings by Megan Nielsen.  I can make a pair in an hour flat.  So, so easy.  The fabric is a fuzzy floral jersey that was given to me.  So I’m not sure what it is or where it’s from, but the leggings are fun! Check out my last pair here. I’m considering microsuede for the next one.

Continue reading The time is never wrong for floral leggings




I don’t think this post requires much of an explanation.  Let’s just say I’ve learned my lesson about pattern placement.  And no, he doesn’t want me to cover it up with a pocket.  My dad suggested a fly.



(in case you are wondering, the fabric is Marimekko, purchased at a Crate and Barrel Outlet fabric feeding frenzy)



The Aspen Dress

I wrote this whole post before I even wore the dress to the event, and was just waiting to plug some final product pictures into and post it up. I didn’t manage to get any good pictures at the gala itself.  I decided to just take some pictures when I got home, but then well….things got complicated. I talked to my mom a lot about this dress- asking her advice on the construction and sending her a lot of work-in-progress photos.  One of the last thing we talked about was how much she wanted to see the finished product.  I’m so sad she never got to see it.  Anyway, here is this long, long overdue post. 


Back in October I wrote this post asking you all what kind of dress I should make to wear to a formal work event in December. Well, I finished it in the nick of time- literally hand stitching the lining in on the bus ride to Aspen.  Based on the comments you all left on that post, I decided to do a hybrid dress- the bodice is this Burda strapless bombshell dress, and the skirt is the By Hand London Elisalex.


I bought Gerties craftsy class Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dress to construct the bodice, and I am so glad that I did because this thing was really fucking complicated! The bodice is fully lined and underlined, there’s a couple of yards of boning in it for support, and the cups have an extra little layer of batting in them for  more shaping and support. I was very very grateful for Gerties extremely detailed coverage of how to construct the cups because they were a doozy. Thanks to the class, though I can report that I did minimal unpicking here- I only sewed the pieces together upside down on one cup. After stitching a muslin, the lining, and the fashion fabric I now feel quite confident in my ability to knock them together with ease.


 I think I’ll definitely buy another Craftsy class. It was really nice going at my own pace and being able to rewatch the videos as much as I wanted. My favorite part of the class was  when Gertie, about to demonstrate yet another section of hand stitching says “now, this may seem a bit fussy. Well, this whole thing may seem a bit fussy to you.” Uh, yeah. I did cut some corners in the construction in the end, mostly for the sake of expediency.I had no time to order spiral steel boning from the internet and then spend time cutting it, so I bought rigilene and macine stitched it straight into the lining. That was a real snap and has the added benefit of making the dress washable, since the steel runs he risk of rusting if you wash it.

I also did not hand stitch the lining all the way around. I machine stitched it at the top and then understitched the lining instead. and frankly….I think it looks better this way than if I’d hand stitched it anyway.

The elisalex skirt was the easiest part. I made it in just a couple hours, including the time it took to adjust the box pleats to line up with the bodice seams. The end result fits well, and I’m really happy with it.

Here’s a recap of the process:


The lining- I used a beautiful cotton print called “Gatsby”


Endless hand basting of the lining to the underling


The bodice coming together. I used a turquoise polyester taffeta for this. I was on the lookout for silk, but thrift won out in the end. This shot is from the road- I did LOTS of hand stitching during 20 hours of thanksgiving travel time


An internal shot- here you can see the batting that goes  into the cups to give them a bit more shape.


this is the only good picture I have from the actual event.


That’s all folks.  Now I’m off to sew something really, really easy…